View Our Practice Areas

June 2015 Archives

What to do with the marital home in the event of divorce

A complicated issue that separating couples often encounter during property division is what will happen to their marital home. As a result, in Arkansas, as well as in all of the other states where marital property is distributed equitably, the marital home often leads to some unique property division challenges. Still, it is important for separating spouses to amicably decide on what they plan to do with the marital home.

Child support orders can be impacted by certain issues

Divorced spouses in Arkansas are aware that child custody and child support issues are often no less complicated than the divorce itself. The court generally awards custody of the child to one parent and orders the other parent to pay child support, which is in the best interest of the child. The non-custodial parents need to know about all of the issues that can affect the existing child support order.

How Arkansas paternity is established and disestablished

In Arkansas, children who are born to married parents have an established legal relationship with the mother's husband, typically assumed to be the biological father. The name of this male thus appears on the birth certificate and establishes paternity. A child born outside of marriage can have his or her father's name written on the birth certificate, only after he acknowledges his biological relationship by filling an acknowledgement of paternity (AOP) form. This gives the biological father the status of legal father.

Guardianship: important elements to consider

The family court in Arkansas may issue guardianship orders, under which an incapacitated person or a person with disabilities will be ordered to be under the care of another person. That person can either be a relative or another person who would like to assume the responsibility for that person. The guardianship allows a person to have complete control over the ward's property and physical person. Guardianship may also be allowed in cases where the ward is addicted to drugs or alcohol or is still a minor.

Learn More

Protect your rights, your finances and your children

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Worsham Law Firm, P.A.

Worsham Law Firm, P.A.
320 Executive Court Suite 306
Little Rock, AR 72205

Toll Free: 888-851-4282
Phone: 501-588-8120
Fax: 501-228-5399
Little Rock Law Office Map