View Our Practice Areas

Guardianship Archives

Arkansas grandparents angry about placement of children

Parents in Arkansas should, ideally, be capable of taking care of their children. In most cases, it is best for children to be with their parents as they age. However, there are situations where children should not be placed with their biological parents. For one reason or another, these parents are unable or unwilling to properly care for the children. In these situations, children can be taken into DHS custody and placed with a guardian.

Who can be a guardian ad litem?

Anyone who has ever been involved in a child custody dispute or other family law matter in Arkansas probably understands that emotions can run high in these situations. In some cases, it can be difficult for people to see past their emotions in order to make decisions in the best interest of their child. In these cases, the court may find it necessary to appoint a guardian ad litem to the case.

The role and duties of a guardian ad litem

Arkansas family law courts hear many cases that involve heated tension between the parties. Children are often at the center of these controversies. The parents' emotions can sometimes take over, leaving a child in the middle. When this happens, a child's best interest may not be served. In order to protect the best interest of the child, the court may order that a guardian ad litem be appointed to the case.

Strong advocacy may be needed to acquire guardianship

Arkansas family court judges typically award custody based on the "best interests of the child" involved. In most cases, either one biological parent is awarded sole custody or both parents are awarded joint or shared custody. However, there are some rare cases in which the court determines that the evidence suggests that awarding custody of the child to either parent will be detrimental to the child's emotional, physical, educational, and overall well-being. In such cases, the court declares the parents unfit and may then awards guardianship rights to a third party.

Under what conditions is guardianship terminated?

Children, especially if they are disabled, need constant love and care. Most children receive that love and care from their parents. However, there are many children in Arkansas, and in the rest of the United States, who have lost their parents for a variety of reasons. In such cases, the children are often cared for by guardians. In Arkansas, those guardians can either be designated by the parents prior to their deaths or by the family court after taking into consideration the best interest of the child.

Guardianship: important elements to consider

The family court in Arkansas may issue guardianship orders, under which an incapacitated person or a person with disabilities will be ordered to be under the care of another person. That person can either be a relative or another person who would like to assume the responsibility for that person. The guardianship allows a person to have complete control over the ward's property and physical person. Guardianship may also be allowed in cases where the ward is addicted to drugs or alcohol or is still a minor.

Are assistance payments available to family guardians?

As in most states, family courts in Arkansas have the power to award the custody of children to relatives when parents are unable to retain custody of their children. In many cases, however, nonparental custody creates financial burdens that are hard for people to shoulder without some outside help. Fortunately, in these cases, the state can provide kinship guardianship assistance payments.

What does Arkansas law require of court-appointed guardians?

Under Arkansas law, people who apply to become guardians of others must meet certain requirements for appointment, including being at least age 18. If they are appointed as guardians of minor children or incapacitated persons, they must also meet certain guidelines established by state law to protect the best interests of their wards. So what are these guidelines?

Guardianship actions can help protect Arkansas children

The unconditional love parents feel for their children is irreplaceable. Sometimes, though, parents for some reason are unable to provide their children with that love and affection. Regardless of the reason, the end result is often a neglected child who can have serious issues as he or she grows toward adulthood. Children who develop without strong attachments to nurturing adults are well known to experience a wide variety of problems, especially those involving intimate relationships.

Learn More

Protect your rights, your finances and your children

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Worsham Law Firm, P.A.

Worsham Law Firm, P.A.
320 Executive Court Suite 306
Little Rock, AR 72205

Toll Free: 888-851-4282
Phone: 501-588-8120
Fax: 501-228-5399
Little Rock Law Office Map