Understanding Your Rights in a Child Custody Arrangement

Know Your Custody Rights

Custody issues tend to be simpler for mothers. After all, there is never a dispute over who the mother of a child is, and courts have traditionally favored ensuring that children have the nurturing influence of the mother in the home.

Balancing Rights For Mothers And Fathers

Great strides have been made over the years to view mothers and fathers as deserving equal time and influence with their children, but fathers still often have many questions about their custody rights.

At Worsham Law Firm, P.A., our lawyers can provide answers. We have been providing custody representation for more than 30 years, and we have a tremendously successful track record in central Arkansas courts.

Are You Married?

This is helpful in clearing up your custody rights.

When a mother is married, there is a legal presumption that her husband is the father of her child. This will result in the husband’s name being placed on the birth certificate. All that is left in a divorce is creating a custody arrangement.

If there are no issues that make you an unfit parent in the eyes of the law, you are entitled to equitable time with your children. If you are out of state, we can help you arrange visitation or fight for a creative parenting schedule that reflects your rights.

Are You Unmarried?

You don’t benefit from the presumption of paternity, so we will need to prove it. Once that is taken care of, you will be able to pursue your parental rights, including custody or visitation. You will also have responsibilities such as child support.

Are You A Grandparent?

Rights are limited for grandparents in most situations. However, if your child is out of the picture due to death or incarceration, you may be eligible for visitation rights to ensure that the child maintains connections with both sides of his or her family.

Contact Our Little Rock Office

It will cost you nothing to learn more about your custody rights. Contact us anytime to schedule a free initial consultation with an attorney. Call us at 501-228-0668 or 501-490-9379.