Search Site

Child support orders can be impacted by certain issues

Divorced spouses in Arkansas are aware that child custody and child support issues are often no less complicated than the divorce itself. The court generally awards custody of the child to one parent and orders the other parent to pay child support, which is in the best interest of the child. The non-custodial parents need to know about all of the issues that can affect the existing child support order.

The court usually grants visitation rights to the non-custodial parent and that visitation period may be extended during summer vacation. In some cases, the court may order the non-custodial parent to stop paying child support, or pay a reduced amount, during the visitation period. However, the parent must inform the Office of Child Support Enforcement about that after the court order has been issued so that a proper credit can be issued for that particular period.

Every three years, non-custodial parents may request a review of the child support order. The request for reviews is submitted according to the Arkansas Child Support Guidelines. The child support modification will be granted based on that submission. The parent can stop paying the child support amount when the child turns 18 years old or completes high school, whichever comes first. If the parent wishes to seek an adjustment in the child support amount, in the event that one child is no longer receiving child support and the other children are still minors, that may be possible by placing a request with the OCSE six months before the child turns 18 years old.

However, if there is unpaid child support and the children have already reached 18 years of age, the parent will still have to continue paying the amount until the back child support is paid in full. It may be a wise decision in such a situation to consult a lawyer, who can help the parent understand the process more clearly.

Source:, “A Handbook For Noncustodial Parents,” Accessed on June 13, 2015

Panther Pay
Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • Little Rock Office
    320 Executive Court
    Suite 306
    Little Rock, Arkansas 72205
    Phone: 501-228-0668
    Fax: 501-228-5399
Learn More